Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ready or Not

A few weeks ago, Harold Camping caused more than a little stir when he announced that May 21, 2011, 6:00 p.m., was the date and time of Jesus’ return.  The closer it came to the time that he prophesied, the more the news media picked up the story with articles, questions, and interviews.  Some people were very serious about the approaching time and date, while others mocked fun at the announcement.  At the very least, the possibility had people talking and questioning what could happen.

That was a great time to read and believe scripture, share beliefs, and take inventory.  If Jesus did return on that day, I knew where I would be.  But it did make me stop and think about whether all the people I know and love had the same assurance of their salvation.  Had I shared with them and others the difference that following Jesus and having a relationship with Him has made and is making in my life?  Were my thoughts, words, actions, and reactions a testimony to that?  Did they know that the hope, peace, desires, joy, and contentment I have are because of God’s unconditional love for me?  Was I taking the opportunity to speak and live out Truth so others would know that God wants that for them, as well?

It’s almost like God used Harold Camping’s false prediction to give each of us a second chance to let others know about what we believe about who He is and what He has done and continues to do in our lives.  I need to be ready for Jesus’ return every day because ready or not…He’s coming!

And just for the record…I did leave two loads of clothes spread out to fold and hang up, until after a wedding we attended…just in case…

Matthew 24: 36; 42-44
36 “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father.
42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

I Timothy 2:1-6
1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.

No comments:

Post a Comment