Saturday, August 27, 2011

Looking for God's Provisions

Ephesians 1:17
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Two months ago, at the end of June, I came once again to the book of Job in the “Read the Bible Through” plan.  Too many times, Job is a book that I am not nearly as excited to read as I am other books of the Bible.  Because of this, I specifically remember praying and asking God to help me understand and see His work and not merely just read to be reading.

I am using The Message translation this year.  A feature that I have appreciated is that Eugene Peterson has a one page summary that is provided before each book.  To my surprise, that day, the book of Job had FOUR pages of information!  Talk about an instant answer to my request to understand Job better!!!  A few more times during those weeks, I reread the summary for clarification and specific things to look for.  Am I a Bible scholar on the book of Job now?  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  As a matter of fact, I may have even more questions than before, but there were definitely some things I learned.  

Those four pages of summary were there whether I accepted them as God’s gift or not.  Because I did, I read the book of Job with a different attitude and mindset this time.  I continue to be amazed not only at God’s provision for Job, but also His provision for me.  I am certain that God cared for, loved, and provided for Job.  And He does the same for me, too.  When I ask, look for, acknowledge, and accept God’s provisions, it makes a difference in my attitude, focus, desires, gratefulness, service, and how I relate to Him and others.  Oh to have open eyes, ears, and heart so that I don’t miss out on the blessing of even one of His provisions for me.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Prayer request:  We are at a point where God is opening doors for an additional, promising MS treatment, here in Houston.  Please pray as we continue to pursue His plan in this.

I John 5:14-15
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

1 comment: