Saturday, March 3, 2012

60 and Counting

One of the first things I do every morning is thank the Lord for giving me another day of life.  As of today, I am 21,915 days old, including leap year days.  If I were still teaching school, I would give a challenge homework problem to figure out how many years, months, hours, minutes, and seconds that is.  Those days have been full of God’s countless blessings.  I am so grateful for family and friends who have and continue to share this journey of life with me.

Five Generation Picture

Last month, one of my doctors passed away, at the age of 74.  Dr. Jackson was still doing what he loved on his last day of life – delivering babies.  He had delivered more than 10,000 babies.  Dr. Jackson had been my doctor for 30 years.   Interestingly, he and Larry knew each other even better because they talked when they saw each other in the hospital when Larry was seeing and praying for people.  One time, the boys were with me when I stopped by Dr. Jackson’s office to let him know I would be praying for him as he had an upcoming surgery.  The boys were most impressed because that night at dinner they announced that they wanted to have a “flattop” just like my doctor.  I guess I thought or hoped Dr. Jackson would always be my doctor.  He was so patient and kind, willing to answer questions, and polite to his patients, nurses, and office assistants.  He made a difference during his lifetime and will be missed.

Two thoughts have continued to be on my heart and in my thoughts these days.  First, none of us know how many days we will be on this earth.  Even though I thank doctors when I leave an appointment, Dr. Jackson’s death has caused me to be intentional about expressing my gratitude for what they do. And it has motivated me to express gratefulness to others as well.  Secondly, I have been reminded that every day I have a choice of what legacy I want to leave behind.

It’s been said that it’s not so much the number of days in your life that matters, but rather the life in your days.  So on this my 60th birthday, as on other days, I will ask the Lord to help my life be a gift that counts and makes a difference for His Kingdom.

Psalm 90:12
Teach us to number our days aright,
   that we may gain a heart of wisdom. 

2 comments:

  1. Mom--

    I am grateful for your life and for the heritage that you have passed on to our generation. May God give you many more years to be blessed and to be a blessing.

    Love,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Love and miss getting to see you today!

    ReplyDelete