Saturday, April 28, 2012

Prayer and Bible Study


When I was growing up…OK I know I am still in the process...at least when I was in my teens, we realized that on the “few” occasions when we were not necessarily paying close attention to the Sunday School or Training Union lessons that if a question was asked and we answered, “Prayer and Bible Study” that most of the time that was the correct answer.  It was amazing how often that was the appropriate response.   

A few weeks ago, I was reminded of that revelation when Larry and I spoke at a prayer retreat at Tallowood.  Each person enlisted to speak at the conference talked about prayer, but also mentioned something God had taught them while they were reading His word which helped clarify a prayer request, offered a solution, or encouraged them during the process.  Once again, prayer and Bible Study went together.

What started out as an easy answer for questions at church has proven itself to be truth for Sunday and every other day of the week.  Praying and studying the Bible are ways that God uses to communicate, encourage, convict, teach, and love us on this journey called life.  And after praying and reading God’s Word, in obedience it’s important to apply it.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to increase your prayer life just say you’ll be glad to speak at the next prayer conference at church.

Proverbs 15:8
 The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked,
   but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

I Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied:
  “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
            obey is better than sacrifice,
            and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

No comments:

Post a Comment