Saturday, February 2, 2013

Taking Time to Smell the Roses

Sometimes life gives you a gift in disguise.  Before the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis made it a challenge to keep my balance and have enough strength, I pretty much took walking, activities, teaching, schedules, and life at full speed ahead.  My calendar stayed pretty full, especially with church, school, and the boys’ activities.  Because of being so busy, there were times that I didn’t take or make the time to stop and smell the roses, to fully enjoy and appreciate someone or something that was happening.

One of the blessings of MS is that it has caused me to be more deliberate about my priorities, what I choose to do, and how I spend my time.  Slowing down has allowed me to sit and listen more, enjoy little things that I would have raced past before, and notice God’s gifts in the little as well as the big things.  I’ve learned to be grateful for people, abilities, and life that I took for granted before.  Progress and regained abilities are cause for gratefulness and celebration.

So for the record, some day when God restores my balance, there are some lessons he has taught me through MS that I still plan to be part of my new “regular” life, as well.

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24
 
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment