Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lessons in 3-D

For the past several months, my morning routine has been to put in my contacts and immediately check my phone to see if Abby or Scott had sent an update, pictures or both.  Because of the time difference, our messages usually arrived during the night.  I eagerly checked for them first thing every single day.  Last Saturday morning, I got up, put in my contacts, reached for the phone, and realized that the people I was checking on were asleep in our home!  Being a creature of habit, I performed the same routine Sunday morning.  When I realized I had done it again, it was a sweet reminder of God’s faithfulness, love, and provision during these days.
 
These next few weeks will be important ones as Mary continues to learn to depend on Abby and Scott for her needs.  With the 13 hour time difference, new foods/formula, and new faces, it will be a lot of new in a short amount of time.  She must surely miss her 20+ closest friends at the orphanage, too.  We are still so grateful that Abby could be with Mary these past 3 ½ months to help begin the bonding process.  It has been amazing to see how much she has already bonded with Scott, also.
 
Because of the bonding process, we are not holding, reaching out for, hugging, kissing, bathing, dressing, feeding, or changing Mary right now.  Allowing Scott and Abby to be her care givers is the best way we can love and encourage her during these days.  That will make the time when we can do these things extra sweet.  It’s been fun to discover ways that we can express our love by watching her play, listening when she “speaks”, clapping with her, waving when she goes to another room, smiling, speaking words of love and even sharing my walker to pull up on and play with.  She crawled after Larry through two rooms on Tuesday.  Without ever being around stairs, Mary has crawled to the top of our stairs, with her father close behind.  What a joy these days continue to be.
 
This week I’ve been reminded of life lessons in 3-D.  First, I know God would be pleased if my first thoughts each day were to eagerly check in with him to see not only what had happened during the night, but what was on His agenda for today.  And He wouldn’t even mind if my contacts were in yet.  I’ve also thought about God being my Father.  Just like Mary is learning to depend on Scott and Abby, I need to daily choose to trust and depend on God, knowing He will provide what is best for me.  Sometimes it’s good to stay close to home until we are ready and prepared for what we will face in the big world.  And it’s always good to know that our Father is close by.
 
How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
Psalm 36:7
 
Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may your love and faithfulness always protect me. 
Psalm 40:11
 
You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you. 
Psalm 86:5
 
But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children—
 Psalm 103:17
 
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. 
Psalm 143:8
 
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!
I John 3:1a

No comments:

Post a Comment