Saturday, July 6, 2013

Intentionally Listening

What a joy to be around children who are learning how to communicate.  With three grandchildren, at various ages and stages, I am having lots of opportunities to intentionally listen these days.  Ryen coos, Mary expresses herself by babbling, and David is talking in complete sentences and paragraphs.  One of the blessings of MS is slowing down enough to sit and listen.  When any of the grandkids speak, they have my attention.  Even though I don’t always comprehend exactly what is being said, I have a better chance of understanding and catching on if I am listening intently.  When they speak, babble, or coo, it’s my chance to listen carefully and wait for responses.  Hopefully the more I listen to the little things now, the more they will trust me with the little and big things as the years progress.
 
I am also continually learning that God desires for me to make and take the time to intentionally listen to Him.  Every day I need to set aside a specific time to listen, pray, read the Bible, and put into practice what he is leading me to do.  As I go about life, I need to intentionally be listening for God’s teachings and promptings and respond in obedience.
 
You have declared this day that the Lord is your God and that you will walk in obedience to him, that you will keep his decrees, commands and laws—that you will listen to him. 
Deuteronomy 26:17

Listen and hear my voice;
    pay attention and hear what I say.

Isaiah 28:23

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
 Matthew 17:5
 
Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 
Mark 7:14
 
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 
John 10:27

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 
James 1:22

No comments:

Post a Comment