Saturday, October 26, 2013

God Knew...and Provided

These past few weeks, I have been acutely aware of God’s provision from the past for the present.  Several experiences have come to mind that have been cause for much gratitude.

God knew that Brad and Chad were going to be born two months early.  The expense of a new compressor for the air conditioner was the reason we thought we needed to delay our trip to Albuquerque to visit my sister and brother-in-law.  That was the week the boys were born!  Since Chad and Brad stayed in the hospital 4 and 5 weeks, it was a blessing to be near home.

God knew when I took a study course on I Thessalonians, over 20 years ago, that when we were challenged to read all 5 chapters every day for 6 weeks that verses 16-18 in chapter 5 would become life verses for me.  Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

God knew that I was going to be diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  Precious friendships had already been established with Melinda and Kenny long before they were diagnosed with MS and many years before I was.  Because of them, I read everything I could about MS and was constantly on the lookout for anything that might be beneficial for them.  Their faith and trust in God’s provision continue to be an example and encouragement for me.

God knew that when I was diagnosed with MS that I would need to give up anything with caffeine.  He allowed me to give it up for the right reason two years before, when I decided to quit drinking cokes in order to pray for Brad and Chad their senior year in high school.  I used that as a reminder to pray and ask God to give Larry and me the privilege of teaching the boys whatever else was needed before they entered college.  I decided to still do that when they went off to school.  Because I had already chosen to give up caffeine, it wasn’t something I “had to do” when the doctor said, “No more caffeine.” 

God knew that I would not be able to carry a baby or care for them by myself when we began to have grandchildren, at least not yet.  But 21, 17, and 15 years ago a dear friend, Missy, invited me to come spend a few days with her when her babies were born.  Some friends and I were at the hospital with Missy and Steve when Rachel was born and then I was able to help out with Benjamin and Joshua when they went home.  Those are special treasured memories.  These days, I get to share the experience with our grandchildren in different ways with Larry helping.  What a blessing to have been able to experience both!

And because God knows, it is exciting and humbling to realize that He is using what happens today to prepare and provide for me in the days and years to come.

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:19

And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.  2 Corinthians 9:8

1 comment:

  1. Debbie I read your blog regularly and enjoy your thoughts. This one is a great reminder how God directs our paths. Thanks for the blessing. Carolyn Knight Head

    ReplyDelete