Saturday, January 4, 2014

Embracing the New



It’s that time of year…new starts, new goals, new dreams, new challenges, new gifts, new mercies.  Fresh new beginnings are cause for encouragement, preparation, inspiration, determination, perseverance, faith, and trust.  Although it is only 4 days into the New Year, even with lots of hopes and good intentions, I’ve already blown it.  But just like the lyrics written by Dorothy Fields say, it is good to:

“…take a deep breath,
Pick yourself up,
Dust yourself off,
Start all over again.”

The best part about that process is that I don’t have to do it by myself.  Because of my relationship with Jesus, God’s Spirit helps convict, lead, encourage, and cheer me on to stay on the right path.  God also blesses me with family and friends to help hold me accountable, believe in me, and encourage me along the way.  And when I mess up, God’s merciful love and faithfulness never run out, never fail, and are new every morning.

Ironically, I got to practice what I wrote about this week.  When it was time to copy the blog, the format would not display correctly on the page.  Even when I sent it to Larry’s computer to try it, it did not work.  So I needed to make a choice.  I could either skip it for this week, try a few more times to see if it would copy correctly, or retype the blog again.  Even though it took more time, retyping reinforced what I need to learn and apply.  Amazingly, the only things that constantly formatted correctly were the scriptures.  There is a strong message in that as well.

Some thoughts along the way:

* It’s hard to accept and embrace something new with a clenched fist or heart.
* Perseverance is important when you want to do something right.  Just like when learning to ride a bike, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again.
* Even when the old way is easier, learning and accepting the new will be worth it.
* A gift or challenge doesn’t belong to me until I receive it and accept it as my own.
* Since God’s gifts of love and compassion are new every day, I need to constantly be anticipating and desiring them.
* When I concentrate on looking for the ways God is making things, situations, relationships, and people “new”, the less distracted I am with other matters.
* Gifts are best when you use and experience them yourself.
* Sometimes you have to get rid of the old to make room for the new.
* Don’t be satisfied with continually patching up what God wants to make new.
* Once you receive what’s best, you aren’t content with the “old” any longer.
* New beginnings aren’t limited to January, birthdays, or to the start of a new school year.

As another year begins, may we each choose to joyfully accept and embrace the new gifts God desires for us to have as we remember and acknowledge that He is making all things new, including us.

This is what the Lord says—
    he who made a way through the sea,
    a path through the mighty waters,
who drew out the chariots and horses,
    the army and reinforcements together,
and they lay there, never to rise again,
    extinguished, snuffed out like a wick:
“Forget the former things;
    do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.
Isaiah 43:16-19

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17

 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
Revelation 21:5

No comments:

Post a Comment