Saturday, February 1, 2014

Steps of Faith



Over the past months, we have enjoyed watching Mary take her first steps and master walking.  Now Ryen, our youngest granddaughter, is in the process of learning to walk.   For a while now, she has been standing and holding on with both hands or with one hand to whatever is closest to her.    When she is standing next to her little play kitchen, the couch, or chair, she is very confident about standing on her own, as long as she is within a hands reach of being able to grab on to something if she needs to.  Ryen loves to “practice” walking by having someone hold both of her hands so she can move to her desired location.  She is now branching out and taking four or five steps before sitting down or reaching to hold on.  It won’t be long until walking is her primary choice of transportation and those crawling and holding on times will be few and far between.

 Holding On

Turning Loose

Helping Hands

 On Her Own

With MS, I can appreciate the steps Ryen is going through in order to be able to walk.  Whereas she is moving towards being more independent, I more often than not recognize the need to have something or someone to hold on to when I need to regain my balance or walk. 

Mary and Ryen’s new adventures have reminded me of my steps of faith.  There are times when I hold on with both hands and stay in place because I am unsure of what comes next.  Sometimes I progress to the place where I am willing to turn loose every now and then, but stay pretty close to what I already trust and know.  Other times I am willingly to walk with someone I trust to accomplish what God needs and wants me to do.  But I feel God’s pleasure most at the times I love and trust Him enough to “let go”, take that first step, and live in obedience to Him whether anyone is walking with me or not.

I’m grateful that even though my physical steps may have challenges my steps of faith can still walk, leap, and run to accomplish what God desires of and for me.  May the marathon and journey continue…one step of faith at a time.   

But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.
I Samuel 12:24

Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
Psalm 86:11

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Proverbs 3:3

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
Romans 1:17

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Romans 10:17

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.
I Corinthians 16:13

For we live by faith, not by sight.
2 Corinthians 5:7

In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Ephesians 3:12

We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
I Thessalonians 1:3

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Hebrews 11:6

By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
Hebrews 11:8

You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
James 2:22






No comments:

Post a Comment