Saturday, May 10, 2014

Safe on Base



Our 14 month old granddaughter, Ryen, has no idea about the rules for softball, yet she is already beginning to understand one of the concepts.  Last week when they were visiting, Ryen was chased at different times by Granddad, her Daddy, and her brother.  There were giggles and squeals of delight as she ran to Lori and grabbed her legs.  She knew that if she made it to her mother that she would be protected.  Just like baseball or softball, Ryen was safe when she reached base, until she took off running again.

No wonder Jesus said we need to have the faith and trust of a little child.  Instinctively, Ryen feels safe in Lori’s presence.  God wants us to have, know, and feel that same sense of security in Him. 

Some things to remember and practice:
* Keep your eyes on Jesus…it’s easier to get on base when you know where it is
* Run to Jesus and not away from him
* Even when a lot of things are coming at you at once, you are safe in God’s care
* When the trials come, it’s encouraging to have someone you can trust and rely on to guide you on life’s journey
* Find contentment and joy in the security of childlike faith

Even more than learning to be safe when playing chase or softball, I pray that Ryen will one day understand, accept, and embrace the love, security, and protection her Heavenly Father has for her for a lifetime.  And may my childlike faith be renewed and increase.

At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.
Matthew 11:25

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
Matthew 19:13, 14

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
 For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.
Psalm 27:1, 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment