Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Prayer Card



Stephen was in the youth group at Tallowood when Larry was Minister to Students.  He loved Jesus and was a leader among his peers during those days.  Now he is leading and encouraging his family to love and serve the Lord.  Stephen and his wife are raising 4 boys.  Last Sunday his youngest son, 7 year old Peter, asked to fill in one of the prayer cards at church.  Usually these cards record a specific request the person would like others to pray for on their behalf.  This is what Peter wrote:


 How refreshing to see the heart of a child who is grateful that God made him just the way he is.  I would venture to say that Peter has heard his parents pray that same prayer over him and he has learned to believe and voice it as well.  Too many times these days, we view ourselves as “not enough.”  We complain that we are too short or too tall; not smart enough; our hair is too curly, too straight, not the right length or color; we are not as athletic or artistic as we desire…and the list goes on. 

After reading Peter’s prayer card, I could picture Jesus smiling and turning to His Father and saying, “Peter gets it.  He’s thankful we made him.  You are welcome, Peter.  You blessed us today.”   

Oh to continue to rediscover and pursue the trust, acceptance, belief, transparency, and honesty of a child.  Thank you, Peter, for writing your prayer card.  God used you to remind me that I am created in His image and I have the privilege of delighting in and being grateful for that every single day.   I am continually learning that there is freedom and much joy as I become the person God created me to be.  That will always be enough. 

And there is no better time to voice that than now… “Jesus, thank you for me.  Amen.”

So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.
Genesis 1:27 (NIV)

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Debbie, what a beautiful post. It just made my day. Thank you for taking the time to remind us.

    ReplyDelete