Saturday, October 11, 2014

OUT OF ORDER



This week I attended Bible study at church.  Our routine is that I drive to church, call Larry when I get there, he meets me, takes the walker out of the car, and then he walks with me to the elevator which takes me to the third floor.  This week, I was on my own because Larry was out of town, but that was not a big deal since with a little effort I can get the walker in and out by myself.  It is a sweet blessing though when Larry is able to help.  Since I never know what traffic is going to be like, I try to leave an hour before the Bible study begins.  That morning the traffic was noticeably light and I was able to drive the speed limit the entire way. 

After arriving more than thirty minutes early, I took the walker out of the car and headed into the church.  I walked to the elevator and noticed the sign “OUT OF ORDER.”  My first thought was, “Oh, no.  Larry is not here and he knows what to do to help me get upstairs.  OK Lord, what am I going to do?”  Within two minutes, God orchestrated a plan that turned a mild inconvenience into joy, provision, and an unexpected blessing.  The security policeman happened to be in the main area and offered to carry the walker, my purse (which is not exactly light weight), my Bible and book up to the third floor.  Bambi offered her arm so I could have the rail on my right side and her arm for stability and Christina and Kathy Lynn gave extra arms of support on the two landings.  We made it up the flights of stairs in just a few minutes.  What a blessing that it was a good walking day and the steps were great exercise.

Christina happened to mention in the Bible study she helps lead that I had walked up the stairs.  When Elisabeth, a dear friend from Nashville, Tennessee, who was visiting in her mother’s class, heard that she came upstairs and surprised me with a visit!  What extra sweet gifts of provision and blessings all because the elevator was “OUT OF ORDER.”

As if that wasn’t enough encouragement for the week, my Bible reading the next day once again reminded me again of God’s constant love, care, provisions, and blessings.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment