Saturday, March 7, 2015

Awareness Week



The first full week of March is National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week.  This year my birthday occurred during the same week.  That day was a great reminder to me that before I was even born, God knew that I would have MS.  Through the years, I have even been given opportunities to prepare for my diagnosis.  Two dear friends had MS years before I was diagnosed.  I was constantly reading articles, watching specials, and listening for anything that could possibly help them have a better quality of life.  That research and preparation helped me not be devastated or fearful when the doctor presented the results from the testing I had done.  During these years, I have witnessed God’s continual love, protection, and provision for Melinda, Kenny, and me, as well as many others.

During this National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, I realized, once again, that it is not what I have that defines me, but rather to whom I belong.  It’s not material possessions, health, or accomplishments that determine my worth or purpose in life, but instead my faith, trust, obedience, and relationship with Jesus that makes the difference.  And that is something to celebrate, be grateful for, and be aware of every day of the year.

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.
Psalm 139:13-18  

No comments:

Post a Comment