Thursday, May 14, 2015

May 14, 2015 - Day 9 in Cancun

I wish there was a way to adequately describe the expectations, excitement, anticipation, hope, joy, and amazement at God’s provision of this incredible day that I have prayed for these past three years.  God is amazingly good.  Your prayers are continuing to be heard and answered.  We have been very aware of God’s love and care during these days.

This morning started out with a special blessing.  When we arrived at the hospital, the regular elevator that we were going to use was out of order, thus the need to use the one just around the corner.  On the wall in front of the elevator, the following statement had been painted on the wall:  "Some things have to be believed to be seen."



The amazing thing was that this profound statement was written in English, and only in English, in a hospital that predominately speaks only Spanish.  I did ask Larry to go back on that same elevator just to see if the writing was still on the wall.  If the main elevator had been working, I would have missed that.  What a gift that has been for me.  It reminded me that Jesus talked about the importance of believing so we could see.  Lord, I want to believe and see today and every day.

As we entered the elevator, four other Celltex stem cell patients from Houston entered.  They looked at us and two people at the same time said they had seen me on TV and another said he saw our picture and the article in the paper.  Then the woman said, “You were wearing a blue jacket.”  We started off with a good laugh.  Oh well, so much for thinking I was incognito.

I began the morning with Gabriel inserting the IV.  Because of your prayers, he was able to get the IV in on the first stick.  Then the hydrating began for the stem cells.  Dr. Herrera also came in to see us just to check in and say hello.  I was able to thank her again for infusing the first stem cells last Friday when Dr. Salazar had an emergency.



Next, Dr. Salazar came in for the preparation and infusion of the 250 million stem cells, 50 million more than expected.  He commented that I was very calm and he could tell that we were spiritual people.  They once again had me confirm my name on my cells and let me hold them.  Before the cells were infused, Larry read a few scriptures.  He took my hand to pray and Dr. Salazar reached for and held my other hand during the prayer.  It was a special joy to thank him for infusing my cells and accepting Celltex’s invitation to perform the stem cell treatments along with the other doctors and nurses.


Holding the 250 million cells for IV cells
and 100 million cells for lymph nodes

Dr. Salazar and Gabriel

Stem cells being infused

Then Dr. Felipe came in to perform the lymph node treatment.  As a MS patient, this particular protocol is offering additional hope for a better quality of life.  Larry was able to be in the hospital room for all the procedures today.  Dr. Felipe showed him what he was looking for and let him watch the procedure.  I have made it a point to let all the doctors know that hundreds of people were praying for them also.  During the procedure, Dr. Felipe asked if I was tolerating the pain OK.  I assured him that when you pray for a miracle you can tolerate the expected pain.  I could feel your prayers and God’s presence.  The deep breaths and slow exhales helped.  At the end, the doctor told Larry that I was calm, relaxed, and a great patient.  I assure you that was because of God answering your and our prayers.  I was also able to thank Dr. Felipe not only for his work of hope today, but also for the years of medical study, preparation, and sacrifice that made today possible.


Dr. Felipe showing me the stem cells and
confirming my name



Dr. Felipe

Dr. Felipe and Debbie

Thanking Karen

Thank you, Lord, for this incredible opportunity.  May my life show my gratitude and make a difference for the gift of these infusions.  Let the next chapter begin!!!

Tonight we were able to tell our waiters goodbye and thank them for their service.

Prayer requests:
Safety as we travel home tomorrow
Wisdom as I work on diet and exercise in the coming days

Lord my God, I called to you for help,
    and you healed me.
Psalm 30:2

Praise the Lord, my soul;
    all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
 who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalm 103:1-5

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Psalms 139:14  

No comments:

Post a Comment