Saturday, July 18, 2015

Taking Care of Business



My dad was a list maker and I learned from observing him.  This has been a full list week with more still to go.  Some items are easily checked off each day while others take more time and stay on the list, as a reminder, until they are accomplished.    One of those big items was taken care of this week as Larry and I updated our wills and also had medical papers drawn up and notarized.  There was much peace in knowing that we had selected an attorney we trusted to guide us through the process.  When the time comes for the medical papers, I did ask Larry to get a second opinion, or at least wait a few minutes, before signing off to let me go.  Having that business in order will be a blessing for our sons and their families.  What a great reminder that since our days are numbered, I need to be intentional about making them count and make a difference for God’s Kingdom.

This has also been a week of taking care of business at physical therapy.  I have had long periods of time riding the stationary bike, completing balancing activities, and walking on the treadmill during the hour long sessions.  On Thursday, the therapist had me wear the harness because he was increasing the speed and distance that I was to walk.  Even though it is challenging, and I really have to concentrate, I can tell that it is making a difference in my walking gait and speed.  The difficulty will be worth the effort as I get stronger, improve my balance, and walk more fluidly.

Some of our Tallowood Adult Choir and Orchestra, as well as other adults from church have been on a mission trip to Germany.  Our Jr. High students served with various ministries around Houston this past week while our high school students are in Washington, Oregon, California, and Ohio on mission trips.  Another group of church members are building a church, working in an eye clinic, and serving the people of Zambia.  Much prayer, work, rehearsals, meetings, and logistics needed to happen for the trips to be possible and the ministries to be beneficial.  

 Here in Houston, there is heavenly business that we have the opportunity to pursue and be attentive to every day.  Some opportunities may be for a short time while others take much more time, energy, and care.  Whether it’s checking off items on a list, giving my best effort for therapy, or making investments that make a difference for eternity, may they all be done for God’s glory.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
I Corinthians 10:31

No comments:

Post a Comment