Saturday, September 19, 2015

Listen/Silent



I find it interesting that the same letters that are used to form the word “Listen” are also found in the word “Silent.”  Amazingly, the words complement each other in what it takes to be a good listener.  Having grandchildren has helped me desire to be a better listener.  I want to be intentional in taking and making the time to listen to the little things they say now in hopes that they will entrust me with their thoughts and ideas in the years to come.  

One day, when Scott was young, he was telling a story and wanted me to listen.  I assured him that I was listening, as I busily unloaded the dishwasher.  He informed me that he wanted me to listen to him with my eyes, too.  What a wise lesson to take to heart then and now.

As I am beginning another Bible study, I also desire to listen and be silent so I can hear, see, and learn the lessons God wants to teach me during these days.  Although those are not necessarily easy things for me to do, the stillness, silence, and discipline will help me have a better chance to hear and see what God wants to say and teach me.

So may I be still and listen in silence with my ears, eyes, and heart so as to discern the lessons I need to learn.  And when I have heard and learned may I willingly and obediently put them into practice.

The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”
I Samuel 3:10

Let the wise listen and add to their learning,
    and let the discerning get guidance—
Proverbs 1:5

Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction; pay attention and gain understanding.
Proverbs 4:1

“Now then, my children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways.  Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not disregard it.
Proverbs 8:32-33

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise.
Proverbs 19:20 

 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:27-28

 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
James 1:19-20, 22

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    I found your blog when I was searching for bible-times backdrops and I found the one from your June 2014 VBS. It was amazing, and I was wondering where it came from. We're looking for something similar at our church in Tyler! Please email me at betsyb@mail.gabc.org.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete