Saturday, October 31, 2015

Because We Are Family

In my growing up years, as well as when we raised our sons, there were things we did or did not do “Because we are family.”  Some were fun and enjoyable tasks while others could be tedious and difficult, but important nonetheless.  Through the years, I have been a part of many families…extended family, families at church, school, neighborhood, organizations…  In each I had the opportunity to be a contributing member.

Because I chose to attend Texas Tech University, I am part of the Red Raider family.  Sports wise, there are times that I am prouder than others as to the ways that fans choose to express their love for the university.  This week is one of those good moments.

Texas Tech is Part of the Big XII family.  They will be playing football against Oklahoma State University today, October 31, 2015.  Last Saturday, at OSU’s homecoming parade, a woman crashed her car, into the crowd on the parade route, killing 4 people and injuring 46 others.  In respect of the OSU community, still in the process of grieving and healing, Texas Tech athletics is asking for a one week moratorium on the “Wreck em” phrase which is usually posted on Facebook and Twitter accounts with the opposing team’s name following the phrase.  It is a gesture that acknowledges that part of our family is hurting and we want to be sensitive to that.  Our job as family is to do our part to encourage them and help them get back up.

I’m also part of God’s family.  As we have been learning at church, because I am a Christ follower, I want to have a relationship and learn all I can about Him so that I can live like Him and invite others to do the same.

It seems like a good week for a family reunion.

How good and pleasant it is
    when God’s people live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.
I Corinthians 16:13-14

For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Galatians 5:14

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.
Philippians 1:27a

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3: 12

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
I Thessalonians 5:11

1 comment: