Saturday, October 17, 2015

Guilty as Charged



 These past several weeks I have been working on a big project.  The first phase is finished and phase two is in the works.  I am trying to get up early each morning so I’ll have time to work on the project as well as the other tasks in my daily routine.  Then I have been staying up late to get more accomplished.  Larry pointed out that I have been burning the candle at both ends and that I would be wise to get more rest.

Late Saturday night I wanted to finish the last lesson for this week’s Bible study.  It wasn’t like I was pressed for time, since I still had three days to complete it.  That session was on Psalm 127 where Solomon warned the people about the disadvantage of getting up early and staying up late to work.  Then he said that the LORD gives rest to those he loves.  Even though there are times when extra effort and time will be needed for certain activities or projects, I am reminded that it is important to take time to get the proper rest so that the work can be more productive.  Oops.  Guilty as charged.  

And then I saw the quote above from Anne Lamott.  Sometimes it takes more than once for me to get the message.  Now that I know what the right thing to do is, I have a choice to make about whether I will do it or not.  What a great reminder to take to heart now that the holidays are rapidly approaching.

P.S.  I slept an extra two hours last night.  It’s a start.

It is senseless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, fearing you will starve to death; for God wants his loved ones to get their proper rest.
Psalm 127:2 (TLB)

It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late,
    and work your worried fingers to the bone.
Don’t you know he enjoys
    giving rest to those he loves?
Psalm 127:2 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment