Friday, February 26, 2016

Just Like Daddy



One of the sweet memories of rodeo season is seeing pictures of kids wearing boots and western attire or tromping around in their parent’s boots.  When he was little, David enjoyed wearing Chad’s boots.  He would strut around with confidence as he walked in his daddy’s shoes.  In a way, Chad also has big shoes to fill since he was the grandchild that inherited my dad’s boots.  


 Recently, Larry took David with him to a store to purchase something I wanted to get for him.  While there, David saw a shirt and shorts that he wanted because they were made of fabric “Just like Daddy’s that he wears when he runs.”

Whenever Chad builds or repairs something, the kids want to be right there watching, helping, and learning to do it just like Daddy.  Before moving to Gatesville, Chad, with guidance from Mike Crouch, made the kitchen table for their new home.  After making the table, he took it to Lori’s parent’s house to stain and seal it.  He taught David and Ryen how to sand so they could help.  With the extra wood, Chad also let David make a key holder for Lori.  David will proudly tell you that he and Daddy made their table.






David and Ryen already have real tools so they can work alongside Chad.  They are kept in a special place until they are needed (the tools, not the kids).  Both Ryen and David are in the process of learning the correct names of the tools as well as how to properly use them, so they can build and repair things like Daddy does.  Sawyer’s turn is coming soon.  




For Christmas, Chad made a cedar chest for David.  He let David help in the process and also let him pick out the latches and hardware.   Whenever he asked Chad who the chest was for, he would tell him it was a surprise for someone very special.  On Christmas, he discovered he was the special recipient of the cedar chest that he helped make.


How much God, too, must enjoy watching His children desire to walk in His footsteps, to go to places where He leads, and to come alongside him in faith to carry His message of love and peace to His children.  His Holy Spirit is there to convict, guide, teach, instruct, correct, and encourage us as we journey through life.  Priscilla Shirer reminds us that “When you’re wearing your daddy’s shoes, your footprints can start looking a whole lot like his.”

“I Want to be Just Like You”
Phillips, Craig & Dean

He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all
 

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 
I Corinthians 10:31

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
John 14:26

and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
Ephesians 6:15

No comments:

Post a Comment