Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Greatest Gift of All



The shopping is done; the list has been double checked; and the gifts are wrapped and ready to give.  All year long I’ve been listening for hints, in order to find just the right gift for each person.  Now is the time to give and enjoy the presents.

As much as I want to give the best gift to each person, in reality there will be presents that break, are soon outgrown, or not used for a while.  But at the first Christmas, God gave us the greatest gift of all in the birth of Jesus, our Immanuel, “God with us.”  The present of His presence is with us always, not just once a year on Christmas Day.

I’ve noticed with gifts that for a present to be mine to enjoy and appreciate that I must first accept the gift.  Then it must be unwrapped and put to use.  The same goes for God’s precious gift of Jesus.  Before the Jesus can become my Lord and Savior, I must accept His gift as my own.  Each day I must decide how much I wish for God’s gift to have an impact on and make a difference in my life.  In response, may my attitude, words, deeds, and obedience reflect my gratitude.

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14

For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.
Luke 2:10-11

 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
I John 4:9

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
2 Corinthians 9:15

No comments:

Post a Comment