Saturday, January 21, 2017

Doing the Right Thing



As I was driving out of the neighborhood one day this week, I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the street.  Being a rule follower, I made sure the car had completely stopped and the turn indicator was on before I proceeded to turn.  Then, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a policeman sitting in his car halfway down the intersecting street.  Even though I had already stopped, I made sure the car was at a standstill before turning the corner.  Although I try to make a practice of doing the right thing when driving, I double made sure I was following the law since the policeman was watching.  

Integrity is said to be doing the right thing, even if no one is watching.  The choices I make and the things I do should be consistent, whether I have an audience or not.  Since God is always with me and sees and knows everything, my actions, words, and deeds should be a constant and consistent reflection of His presence.

Dearest friends, when I was there with you, you were always so careful to follow my instructions. And now that I am away you must be even more careful to do the good things that result from being saved, obeying God with deep reverence, shrinking back from all that might displease him. For God is at work within you, helping you want to obey him, and then helping you do what he wants.
Philippians 2:12-13

“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:20b

Be careful to obey all these regulations I am giving you, so that it may always go well with you and your children after you, because you will be doing what is good and right in the eyes of the Lord your God.
Deuteronomy 12:28

If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
James 4:17

Blessed are all who fear the Lord,
    who walk in obedience to him.

Psalm 128:1

No comments:

Post a Comment