Saturday, March 11, 2017

Choosing to Follow



Scott needed to have work done on one of his cars and called to see if I would pick him up at the automotive shop.  Since I was not familiar with the part of town where he was going, I needed to print out directions, get directions over the phone, or go to Scott’s house and follow him as he drove to the shop.  Since Scott had been to the location before and knew where he was going, I chose to follow him.  Once we left Scott’s house, I made sure I kept my eyes directed on Scott’s car, made every turn he made, and stayed as close to his car as possible until we arrived at the destination.  After we left the automotive shop, Scott gave verbal directions as we completed a few more errands.  Because of his closeness, I could listen, hear, and follow his instructions.

Some lessons I thought about while driving:
* I get to choose whom I will follow.
* It’s good to follow someone who knows where they are going and what they are doing.
* The one I choose to lead me should be worthy of my trust.
* It’s important to keep my eyes and attention on the one being followed.
* It’s good for the leader to know you are following so they can make sure you are staying close and made it through the light change.
* When I concentrate on following, the easier it is to not be distracted.
* Turn indicators help point the way and direction.
* There is satisfaction in a successful mission.
* Every day I must make the choice to follow God, listen closely to His instruction, keep my eyes and heart focused on him, and obey His teachings.

It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.
Deuteronomy 13:4

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
Psalm 111:10

Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10:38

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
Mark 8:34

Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment