Saturday, April 1, 2017

Power Connection

When I am out and about, I wear a walking device that keeps my left foot from dragging and helping me not stumble.  It has two parts that need to be recharged each night.  In addition, there are two parts connected to my shoe that run on a battery.  Usually I do not wear the shoes with the device if I am at home.  That forces me to have to work a little harder to make sure I pick up my foot with each step, but hopefully that will continue to keep that foot strong and train it to do what it is supposed to do.

I have two pairs of shoes that are identical.  The newer pair has the walking device attached, while the older pair is used for exercising and just wearing around the house.  On Monday night we met Scott and his family for dinner to celebrate Abby’s birthday.  Since we were going out, I quickly unplugged the walking devices from the chargers, put them on, and headed to the car.  Because I was in a hurry, I didn’t turn the controls on until I was seated in the car.  When we arrived, I stepped out of the car and realized that the device was not working.  I tried 3 times to start it without being successful.  The red flashing light came on and it beeped to signal that something was not making a connection.  Since the component that straps to my leg and the device that goes in my purse were fully charged, that meant that the battery for the part in my shoe must need to be replaced. 

When we arrived at home, Larry offered to change the battery so the device would be ready for the next time I needed it.  When I took my shoe off, we realized that I had worn the old shoe and had not put on the newer shoe with the devices attached.  Even though all the parts were properly charged and ready to use, they did not work because a connection had not been made by wearing the proper shoes.

In life, I need to intentionally keep my spiritual batteries charged by reading the Bible, praying, worshiping, learning, ministering, and serving.  But it’s only when I am connected to God that the power is present.  And fortunately, God never needs to recharge or change batteries for His source of power.

"I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit: apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you believe in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13

My speech and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom but with a powerful demonstration by the Spirit, so that your faith might not be based on men's wisdom but on God's power.
I Corinthians 2:4-5

May you be strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience, with joy giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the saints' inheritance in the light.
Colossians 1:11-12

His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.
2 Peter 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment