Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Great Rescue

Recently, Roberta Ursrey and her family were enjoying a day at Panama City Beach, Florida.  She heard her sons screaming and realized that they were swimming in water too far from shore.  Roberta and other members of her family quickly swam out to the boys but soon the family members were caught in the rip current as well.  According to The Panama City News Herald, the nine people were trapped in about 15 feet of water.

Fellow beach goers, Jessica Simmons and her family, saw that the members of Ursrey’s family were in trouble and immediately sprang to action.  Simmons, along with about 30 other people, began to form a human chain to reach Roberta’s family.  When they reached the swimmers, the rescuers started with the younger children and eventually towed all of the people along the human chain to rescue them.  When interviewed, Ursrey said, “I honestly thought I was going to lose my family that day.  It was like, ‘Oh God, this is how I am going.’   I am so grateful.  These people were God’s angels that were in the right place at the right time.  I owe my life and my family’s life to them.  Without them, we wouldn’t be here.”

I love that when Jessica Simmons and others saw a need that they immediately assessed the situation, came up with a plan, cooperated with others that they may not have known before, and as a result were able to rescue and save Roberta Ursrey and her family.  Oh that I would be willing to respond as quickly when God points out a need.

And the good news for all of us is that at just the right time, Jesus came to rescue and save us and to give new life for now and eternity to those who place their faith and trust in Him.

Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
Psalm 25:20

In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me.
Psalm 71:2

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Isaiah 46:4

For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Colossians 1:13-14

for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead–Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.
1 Thessalonians 1:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment