Saturday, September 2, 2017

Hurricane Harvey 2017



What a difference a week makes.  A week ago Monday we were marveling as the moon eclipsed the sun and its light dimmed.  This week we longed for the sun to shine and offer a glimmer of hope that the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey will someday be over and rebuilding and restoration can take place.  Even though it may take years to be able to process all that occurred these past few days, I have been reminded in so many ways of God’s presence, love, care, and provision during these days.

Some quotes that surfaced this week:
“God’s peace is not the calm after the storm.  It’s the steadfastness during it.”
Christian rock lyrics

“It’s not about how we start, but how we end.”
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers.  You will always find people who are helping.’  To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are many caring people in this world.”
Mr. Fred Rogers

Things I want to remember and ponder:
* Time to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice
* People are always more important than things 
* Gratitude for son, Brad, who studied and learned well and could decipher the information and give peace and comfort that our home would be OK
* First responders giving their time for days on end while their families miss having them home
* Policemen, firemen, and other first responders who came from other cities and states to give our people help and time to rest
* Kathryn Mills, a second grade teacher in Katy, creating the Hurricane Harvey Book Club on Facebook, where children and adults video and post the reading of books, in order to help children deal with the hurricane and encourage reading
* Longest lines were not for food, water, or supplies, but to volunteer
* Four men from church who used a boat they use for recreation/sport as transportation to rescue people in need
* People who used their boat to rescue a family from church and then returned to rescue other families as well
* Rescuers forming a human chain across a road to rescue an elderly man trapped in his car
* Retired Baptist Men coming to cleanup, serve food, and minister through manual labor
* Two young moms dressing up as Ana and Elsa and visiting shelters
* People whose homes had flooded out rescuing other families
* Churches reaching out to their members and community
* Encouraging messages from pastors and God’s Word
* People taking vacation days and coming from cities across Texas and other states to help
* Neighbors and strangers becoming friends and family
* It’s better to have too much of needed supplies and not need them than to not have enough and need them
* Even though the initial hit has passed, this is now a marathon and not a sprint
* It’s worth heeding the constant tornado warnings to take cover, just in case
* Grateful for technology, phone calls, and personal encounters to check on people
* It’s important to keep things in perspective
* The willingness of people to help others whether they knew them previously or not
* Even the ordinary becomes extraordinary when the schedule is interrupted
* Making sure the decisions you make do not put other people at risk
* A little girl in our neighborhood who made, iced, decorated, and gave cupcakes to the workers
* We do better when we work as a team rather than competition
* We now have the opportunity to help rebuild, restore, and be even better than before

Songs have also been a source of hope, reassurance and peace this week.

“The Eye of the Storm”
Ryan Stevenson

I can feel the rain reminding me
In the eye of the storm
You remain in control
And in the middle of the war
You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor
When my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me
In the eye of the storm


“I Will Make All Things New”
Words and Music by Mary McDonald
Based on Isaiah 43:1-19

When you pass through the waters, I am with you.
When you go through the sea, I am there.
When you go through the fire, the flames will not harm you.
I am God, I am Lord, I am there!

I will make all things new;
I will watch over you.
I will renew, I will restore, I am God!
I will make all things new;
I paid a price for you.
I am the Lord. I am your God, you are mine.

In your trial or your sorrow,
I am with you.
When hope fades for tomorrow, I am there.
In your trouble or pain, call my name;
I’ll be with you.
I am God, I am Lord, I am there!

I created the heavens;
I created the earth.
I created my people.
Rejoice!  I am God!

I will make all things new;
I will watch over you.
I will renew, I will restore, I am God!
I will make all things new;
I paid a price for you.
I am the Lord. I am your God, you are mine.
You are Mine!

More than anything, God’s Word has brought peace, hope, and comfort during these days.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:13

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9

God is our refuge and strength,
     an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
     and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
     and the mountains quake with their surging.
Psalm 46:1-3

He will cover you with his feathers,
     and under his wings you will find refuge;
     his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
Psalm 91:4

So do not fear, for I am with you;
     Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
     I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
     I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
     I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
     they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
     you will not be burned;
     the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD your God,
     the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
Isaiah 43: 1b-3a

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
     for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
     Great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23

Let us not become weary is doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
I Peter 4:8-10

We have a starting date for Hurricane Harvey but the ending date will not be final until the last repair has been made.  As homes are made new, may we also be willing to be made new as we pray, listen, give, and serve. Then we will be the helpers people need and are looking for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment