Family and friends continue in the process of restoring their homes after the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey. While some are beginning to return to their homes, most are still finalizing contractors, waiting for permits, picking out flooring, appliances, paint, and continuing in the process. Just like homes being made new as they are rebuilt, people are in need of the same. These past months I have noted similarities in the process.
Some lessons on making new:
* Getting rid of the old can sometimes be painful, leaving one feeling exposed, raw.
* One must willingly release the old in order to make room for the new.
* It’s important to rebuild on a strong foundation.
* When the work is not completed correctly, it must be stripped away and redone.
* It’s important to pay attention to detail.
* Stay the course, keeping the goals constantly in front of you.
* Patience is a virtue.
* It’s worth seeking out people with experience and knowledge to help with questions and decisions.
* There’s no room for shortcuts when you want homes and lives to be right.
* Trials and destruction can result in new and improved.
* When you give your word, make it count.
* Even though it can be difficult, waiting and timing can make a difference in the outcome.
* Growth, change, and rebuilding don’t happen overnight.
* It’s a blessing to have others share, support, encourage, and hold you accountable along the way.
* Never lose heart or give up.
* Always hope.
* Seek God and make Him your priority.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17
See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
2 Corinthians 4:16
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
I Peter 1:3
Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.Colossians 3:9-10