Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Disciple

In recent days, two photographs taken by Stan and Karen Schoeppey at the Passion 2012 Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, a quote from a Bible study, a saying by a saint, and the words of Jesus have reminded me of the importance of being and picturing what it looks like to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Below is a picture of the “Freedom Art” that was erected in International Plaza in Atlanta, Georgia, during the days of the Passion Conference.   The hand and arm were covered with items that were made with slave labor as a reminder of the price that had been paid for goods that we might purchase for our enjoyment.  

 The second picture shows the shadow of the “Freedom Art” on the Georgia Dome.  Wouldn’t it be amazing if the world could always see the shadow of God’s hand working in and through his children whether they were at a conference, work, school, church, home, at a ball game, or on a mission trip?
This semester, I am in the James Mercy Triumphs Beth Moore Bible Study at church.  In one of the articles, written by Melissa Moore Fitzpatrick, she states, “I want the life and wisdom of Jesus to so transform me that even when I’m not deliberately referencing a Bible verse, I remind someone of Jesus.”   
St. Francis of Assisi is commonly attributed to saying, "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words."
And in John, Jesus says:
..."If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples." (John 8:31)
“By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35)
“This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:8)

It's a great time to be and do the work of a disciple of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment