Saturday, January 14, 2017

Making the Days/Years Count



This week, God has used a news article, a special person, a song on the radio, and scriptures to remind me of the importance of making my days/years count for His glory.

Krystal Payne, from Leesburg, Virginia, went to pick up her pizza order.  When she arrived, she noticed Ibby Piracha, who is deaf and a frequent customer at the Starbucks store where she works, having trouble placing his order.  At Starbucks, Ibby already has his order typed into his phone and shows it to the barista.  His frustration in ordering pizza caused Krystal to wonder if there was more she could do to make Ibby’s visits to Starbucks a more pleasant one.

Payne already knew some sign language from her experience as working as a nanny, but she decided to go on line to find resources that would help instruct her on more useful phrases so she could communicate better with Ibby.  On one of his next visits, Krystal handed him a note that said, “I’ve been learning ASL just so you can have the same experience as everyone else.”  When asked why she wanted to do that, Krystal said, “My job is to make sure people have the experience they expect and that’s what I gave him.”  What a wonderful example of someone who is making her days count by helping make a difference for the people around her. 

This past Tuesday, Larry and I had the privilege of eating lunch with Martha Wiebe and her daughter, Karen.  It was Martha’s 95th birthday!  Martha spills over God’s joy, hope, love, and laughter wherever she goes.  Those are just a few of the reasons I look forward to visiting with her each Sunday morning.  A few Sundays ago, when it was bitterly cold outside, Martha rode the shuttle bus from her retirement home so she could attend church.  The weather was not going to deter her from worshiping at Tallowood.  It should not have been a surprise that for her birthday she chose to attend the “10-10-10” prayer time, since she had not done that before, and then go back to the church for lunch.  Several years ago, Robin Moore was inspired to begin praying for the end of human trafficking in our city, especially along the I-10 corridor.  Because of her leadership and encouragement, several people now meet to pray on the 10th day of each month, at 10:00 a.m., at the gazebo at “Taste of Texas” on I-10 to pray for freedom for the victims of human trafficking as well as a change of heart and lifestyle for those who commit the crime.  With the Super Bowl weekend being one of the biggest occasions for human trafficking, it would be good for all of us to make time to pray for protection for the victims and the elimination of the abuse.  I love Martha and that she is still looking for ways to serve the Lord and make her days count for His Kingdom. 

On the way to Bible Study on Tuesday morning, I heard the song, “Let Them See You,” by Jason Weeks and Scotty Wilbanks, on the radio.  It was a reminder of what I want the desire of my heart to be as a believer in Christ.  Part of the song says:

"With every breath I breathe
Sing a simple melody
But I pray they hear more than a song
In me, in me

Let them see You in me
Let them hear You when I speak
Let them feel You when I sing
Let them see You, let them see You in me"

This week, may we be intentional in making our days count in order to make a difference for God’s glory and His Kingdom’s work. 

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 
I Corinthians 10:31 

A person’s days are determined;
   you have decreed the number of his months
  and have set limits he cannot exceed. 
Job 14:5 

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. 
Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment