Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lessons from Kindergarten


Tis the season for graduations.  Typically, schools and families celebrate their first one after a child’s year in kindergarten.  There are so many of life’s lessons that are taught and learned during that year, in preparation for their further education.  A few years ago, Robert Fulgum wrote about the value of its importance in a poem.

“All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten”
by Robert Fulghum
Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -
Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work everyday some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

It would probably be beneficial for all of us to have a “Kindergarten Refresher Course” every now and then.   

A friend’s grandson celebrated his graduation from kindergarten this week.  Throughout the year, his teacher had sayings that she used with the students.   One that she quoted was, “1-2-3, eyes on me.”  As a teacher, I’m sure that was one she said every day and more than likely multiple times a day.  I’ve been thinking about that saying all week.  It made me wonder how many times, each day, Jesus needs to say, “1-2-3, eyes on me.” to me.  And when he says it, how soon do I look?

The second quote was “Yesterday is in the past, you can’t go back.”  Although it’s important to learn from the past, that’s not where we are intended to live.  I don’t need to waste today by going over and over what happened yesterday or last week or last year.  I need to learn the lesson and move forward.

So today I am choosing to keep my eyes on Jesus and live and celebrate the day He has given me. 

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Psalm 118:24
This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment