Saturday, September 15, 2012

Keeping What's Important

This past week when I asked Chad why I received a certain e-mail he said that my account may have been hacked and it would be wise to change my e-mail password.  Since I had changed it in the past, just to be safe, I  went on and changed the password again.
 Oh, my!  Apparently I should have also changed another password in the process and it ended up with me not being able to view my account in Outlook.  I knew I had really messed up when Larry couldn’t even undo what I had done.  Three long late evening phone calls later, he was finally able to talk with someone who knew what was needed to remedy the situation.  In the process, the technician was going to retrieve all of my e-mails from the previous seven years, which meant that I was going to need to go through and read, file, or delete them again.  Fortunately, I had filed most of the important ones so I assured the man that I wasn’t that attached to them.  We decided that saving last years and this year’s would be sufficient.  I knew that there were pictures and a few others that I still needed to save.
So more than 7,000 e-mails were restored to my computer!!!  Many were duplicates.  Apparently one little box had not been checked to truly delete what I had placed in the trash and emptied.  That minor detail has now been checked and should no longer be a problem.  I try to keep the number of my e-mails low so it has been pretty overwhelming to look at the number still remaining in the Inbox.  After categorizing the posts, it has been easier to delete thousands that were from advertisements, past events, etc.  I am now down to less than 1,000, but these last ones will take time since they are from special people and events and need to be carefully read.  Besides, I am enjoying looking at the pictures again.
 
This past week, I’ve also thought about how I need to be just as careful and intentional about keeping what’s important in my heart and mind so that I think about and meditate on that which is good and profitable for a disciple of Christ.  The rest need to be deleted, sent to the trash, and emptied immediately.
 
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment