Saturday, July 20, 2013

When the Alarm Sounds

There are several different alarms to which I respond.  Every night I set the alarm on my clock for the hour that I need to wake up the next morning.  I have alarms set on my phone to remind me of important things I need to remember to do.  Even the microwave and dryer have buzzers that remind me that food and clothes need my attention.
 
Early last Wednesday morning, another alarm shrilled throughout the house that called for my attention.  As if he couldn’t hear it, I wanted to make sure Larry knew that the smoke detector was going off.  After assessing the situation, and seeing that there was no smoke or fire, he immediately knew that the battery on the detector was running low.  After changing the battery, the detector was once again silent.  I’m so grateful that Larry was still home that morning and knew exactly what to do.
 
It’s good to set and hear alarms, but what makes a difference is how I respond to them.  I can either get up when my alarm goes off each morning or I can hit the snooze button a few times before starting the day.  When I respond to the alarms on my phone, I am keeping up with an important schedule for my health; otherwise I pay the price for not functioning at my best.  The microwave beeps remind me that the food is ready.  If that part of the meal is forgotten, it’s not too appetizing later on.  When the buzzer on the dryer announces the end of the cycle, if I remove the clothes immediately they most likely will not have to be ironed.  As if it could be ignored, responding appropriately to the smoke detector has the potential to save our home and lives from fire.  Low battery or not, it needs my full attention to assess what is needed.
 
With all that has been going on in our city, state, country, and world these days, it seems as if alarms are going off all around us.  Sometimes we choose to hit the snooze button, some alarms we ignore or wait until later to deal with, while others are at the emergency level and need to be dealt with immediately.  During these days, may we be willing to have eyes, ears, and hearts that help us know how and when to respond and make a difference for God’s kingdom.  May He find us faithful.
 
Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day.
Deuteronomy 8:11
 
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.
2 Chronicles 7:14-15
 
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James 1:22-25

No comments:

Post a Comment