Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Single Word

Whether it’s a command or a name, sometimes a single word speaks volumes.  As a child, I remember that commands were expected to be obeyed immediately.  If we were too close to the street, the word “Stop” would be said.  While raising the boys, we did the same thing.  We taught them the importance of instant obedience if we told them to stop.  It didn’t need to be a dialogue at that specific moment.  Immediate obedience kept them safe and then an explanation could follow at a later time.  When you have a clear spot in traffic, while waiting to cross the street, in running a race, or when it is your turn, “Go” is a welcomed word that doesn’t need more instruction.
 
In 8th grade math, there were times when Mrs. Lamar, would say, “Freeze!”  Whatever position you were in or whatever you were doing at that moment is how you stayed until she spoke again.  Thinking back on it, I don’t know of anyone who disobeyed her command.  If they did, I’m sure it was only one time.  She definitely had our attention and was in control when that one word was spoken.  Whatever needed correction was taken care of and class resumed after that one single word.
 
These past few weeks, the news has followed the story of Hannah Anderson, the teenager who was abducted outside San Diego and rescued in the backcountry in Idaho.  Because of 4 alert horseback riders, the sheriff, FBI, Hannah’s dad and friends, she was able to be rescued safely.  In an interview that was aired on Thursday morning, Hannah said, “In the beginning, I was a victim.  But now knowing everyone out there’s helping me, I consider myself a survivor instead.”  Victim…Survivor…what a difference in those single descriptive names.
 
Sometimes a sports figure, model, group, or movie star is recognized by a single word as their name.  So whether it’s a command or name, a single word can carry much weight.
 
And there is one name that is above all other names.  Jesus changed the world more than 2,000 years ago, and He is still changing lives today.  One day everyone knee will bow before Him and every voice will acknowledge God.  His commands are to:
Come
Repent
Trust
Believe
Follow
Obey
Go
Disciple
Forgive
Love
 
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Romans 10:9-10
 
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20
 
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35
 
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
Mark 11:25
 
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35
 
It is written: “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’”
Romans 14:11

No comments:

Post a Comment