Saturday, February 7, 2015

Shoveling



Boston, Massachusetts had more snow the last week of January, 2015 than at any other time since meteorologists began keeping records in 1891.  The pictures have been beautiful, but I’m sure it is quite a job to shovel sidewalks, driveways, streets, and to travel safely.  Because of the amount of snow, a travel ban kept cars off of the major roads, including Boylston Street which sports the finish line for the Boston Marathon.

With more than two feet of snow on the ground, and more falling, schools were closed along with several businesses.  The people manning the snowplows had more than enough work to keep them busy.  It seemed that as soon as one road was cleared and they moved to another one that the first street was covered in snow again.  Thus, it was no surprise that the street and sidewalk in front of the business where Chris Laudani works was again covered in snow.  As he shoveled off the walkway, he noticed a lady looking for the “Finish Line” for the Boston Marathon Race.  Chris immediately began shoveling the snow and didn’t stop until the entire yellow and blue pavement was in plain view.  When questioned by a reporter from WCVB, Chris commented, “It’s very special to me and to the city, and I didn’t think it deserved to be covered under all that snow.”  That place is Laudani’s “favorite spot in the city” and the day of the race his “favorite day of the year.”  He has completed the 26.2 mile race five times, including the 2013 race when two bombs were set off just a few feet from the finish line.

The Boston Marathon Finish Line is repainted every year in preparation for the race and then left for people to view all year long.  It has become a symbol for Boston Strong and love for the city.

And because Jesus is very special to me, I, too, need to be diligent about shoveling away the things that tend to cover Him up in my life.  And when the big storms in life come, I’m grateful for the snowplows (people and situations) God provides to help me continue to see and travel His path.  Today and every day may Jesus be visible for all to see.

Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
Psalm 51:2

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
I Corinthians 6:19-20

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete