Saturday, June 27, 2015

Being a Doer



Since having the stem cell treatments in May, one of the improvements both Larry and I have noticed is that my walking gait is different.  Instead of a big swing to the left side, every time I take a step, the half circle is much smaller and more in line with almost normal walking.  In order to take advantage of gaining strength and making improvements in the coming days, my doctor has written a prescription for physical therapy.  After three therapy appointments, it is obvious that I am going to need to retrain how I walk.  My physical therapist said he is going to have me do things way out of my comfort zone and really push me to make improvements for my balance, walking, strength, and other issues.  After three sessions, I can say that he speaks truthfully.  He has also given me exercises to do at home.  These times are tiring, challenging, and so worth it. 

The rehab place is set up to accommodate people who have MS, who are recovering from strokes, or who have other injuries.  The therapists have spent years studying, training, and preparing in order to know how to offer the best treatment for positive results.  Even with all of my therapist’s expertise, the only way I will benefit is if I make the commitment to hear what is prescribed, exercise every day, concentrate on what to pay attention to, and do it all to the best of my ability.

This week’s Bible readings have been big encouragements to me.  On Wednesday morning I read a passage in Hebrews 12 that I know I have read numerous times, but this time it had a special meaning and challenge for me.

Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. “Make level paths for your feet,” so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
Hebrews 12:12-13

And to add to that challenge and encouragement, on Friday morning I read James 1.  As a Christ follower, every day I also need to willingly make the commitment to read God’s Word, hear and listen to the instructions, and then put into action what it says.  At times it too may be tiring and challenging, but living obediently will be well worth it.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
James 1:12

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
James 1:22

But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James 1:25

No comments:

Post a Comment