Saturday, October 10, 2015

First Things First



I pretty much keep to a schedule when it comes to weekly chores.  There are things that are part of my daily routine as well as things that I do once or twice a week.  Then there are meetings or activities that come periodically.  After being out of town for almost a week, several things in my weekly schedule needed attention all at once.  The week’s mail was gathered and sorted into piles so I could decide which needed to be opened and responded to first.  Then there were the piles of laundry that needed to be cleaned.  What was needed soonest would need to be washed first.  What I usually did without thinking about now had a priority rating.  It also meant I put aside some other activities until the “work” was completed.

In the book of Revelation, the church at Ephesus is commended for its good work and patience, but chastised for forgetting their priority.  Unfortunately, they had taken a vacation from the love they had at the beginning for God and His work.  After being warned, those who repented and returned to their first love were promised a reward.

Although it’s refreshing to have time away from the “chores” of life and enjoy God’s amazing creation, I want to make a conscious effort to not take a vacation, even for a few days, from my priorities with God and His purposes for my life. 

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33

“Write a letter to the leader of the church at Ephesus and tell him this:
“I write to inform you of a message from him who walks among the churches* and holds their leaders in his right hand.

“He says to you: I know how many good things you are doing. I have watched your hard work and your patience; I know you don’t tolerate sin among your members, and you have carefully examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but aren’t. You have found out how they lie. You have patiently suffered for me without quitting.

“Yet there is one thing wrong; you don’t love me as at first! Think about those times of your first love (how different now!) and turn back to me again and work as you did before; or else I will come and remove your candlestick from its place among the churches.

“But there is this about you that is good: You hate the deeds of the licentious Nicolaitans, just as I do.

“Let this message sink into the ears of anyone who listens to what the Spirit is saying to the churches: To everyone who is victorious, I will give fruit from the Tree of Life in the Paradise of God.
Revelation 2:1-7 (TLB)

1 comment:

  1. How delicious is the fruit of the Spirit! It nourishes me every day.

    ReplyDelete