Saturday, June 17, 2017

Oh, Be Careful!



This was the week of Vacation Bible School at Tallowood.  The children heard Bible stories, learned Bible verses, sang and practiced hand motions to songs, and were taught that God, the creator of the universe, loves them.  There are so many adults and young people who invested time, energy, love, and patience to model being like Jesus to the kids. 

Amazingly, the kids picked up the words and actions to the songs quickly.  They practiced the songs at home and sang as they went down the sidewalks at church.  Because they are memorizing and practicing the songs and scriptures, hopefully they will be able to recall them for a lifetime.

Many ages ago, when I was in Vacation Bible School, we learned a song that I thought about this past week.

“Oh Be Careful Little Eyes”

Oh, be careful little eyes what you see
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above
Is looking down in love
So, be careful little eyes what you see.

Oh, be careful little ears what you hear…
Oh, be careful little hands what you do…
Oh, be careful little feet where you go…
Oh, be careful little mouth what you say…
Oh, be careful little mind what you think…
Oh, be careful little heart what you love…

With six grandchildren, I so want to carefully model what I see, what I choose to hear, what my hands choose to do, where my feet take me, and what my mouth speaks.  Two of our younger grandchildren are two years old.  They are in the process of learning and repeating what they hear at any given time.  When a new song is sung or new story told they want it repeated over and over again.  It is a reminder that I need to be on notice at all times to make sure the words I speak, my actions, what I choose to do, where I choose to go are in line with God’s truth and love. 

Last week I was reading Mary and Daniel a book.  There was a critter that was part of the story.  After reading one of the pages, I exclaimed, “Gross!”  A second later I heard a little voice repeat, “Gross!  Gross!  Gross!”   Daniel repeated the word with the same intonation and feeling that I had said it.  What an instant reminder of how important it is to have words, actions, and deeds that are worthy of being copied and repeated since our Father up above is looking down in love and little eyes are watching and little ears are hearing, too.

Jesus said, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
John 13:15

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.
Proverbs 23:12

In everything set them an example by doing what is good.  In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
Titus 2:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment