Saturday, October 28, 2017

Believing and Seeing



Two weeks ago, our pastor preached on believing and seeing which brought to mind an experience I had at Hospital Galenia, in Cancun, Mexico, when I went for my stem cell treatments.  I tend to like to see how and why things work before committing to them.  With my medical procedures, I don’t mind being the guinea pig after other guinea pigs have been successful with their treatments.  Thus, it was time for my big step of faith and adventure.

The second day in Cancun I had tests, interviews, and blood drawn at the hospital.  We used the main elevator in the lobby to go to the proper floor for the testing.  The next morning, when we went to the hospital for my first procedure, there were men working on the elevator we had previously taken so we had to ride another elevator.  As we rounded the corner there was a saying that had been painted on the wall.  I was amazed at the message.  We even missed the first ride up because I asked Larry to please stop and take a picture of the quote.  


There were several things that were intriguing about this experience:
* If the elevator had not been “Out of Order” we probably would have never gone to the elevator by the back wall, thus missing the quote.
* The saying was written in English whereas the other quotes around the hospital were in Spanish.
* It seemed that this was a confirmation that it was OK to proceed with the treatments.

After the procedure was finished for the day, the main elevator was back in working order, but I asked Larry if we could please take the one we had ridden on that morning.  I really needed to see if the saying was still on the wall or if God just had it there for me that morning knowing I would need it.  Needless to say, that is the elevator I chose to use for the rest of the treatments at Hospital Galenia.

What a wonderful reminder and lesson in faith.  It’s when I trust and believe that I can truly see and understand.

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed – a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
Romans 1:17

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.  This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what is visible.
Hebrews 11:1

Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?”
John 11:40

Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
John 20:29

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Hebrews 11:6

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
I Peter 1:8-9

1 comment:

  1. Mike and I do not believe in coincidences or luck. We do like you both believe in God's sovereignty and Holy Spirit speaking to our hearts that this is what He has ordained. We believe this is also Our Great Physician in caring for you to make you stronger and giving you the physical and emotional strength to persevere.

    ReplyDelete