Saturday, September 7, 2019

Checking the Brakes



Whether it’s a car, bicycle, or walker, it’s important and necessary to have brakes that function well.  Last week Larry brought the walker around to my side of the car for me to use to walk into church.  I noticed and commented that the left side was dragging which made it difficult to walk.  Upon checking, I realized that I had not released the left brake. That episode has caused me to pause and think that people have brakes, too.

* There are times for brakes to be used and times for them to be released.
* If brakes are half used, they slow down progress, and make it more difficult to accomplish the task.
* When brakes are not properly used, life can get out of control.
* I need to be willing to put on the brakes when I know it is something I am not to be involved in, think, or say.
* Sometimes having the brakes on gives me time to think, ponder, and make decisions.
* When the brakes are released, I am free to go, explore, minister.
* I am responsible for choosing how and when I will use the brakes.
* It’s good to have brake checks periodically to make sure they are being used as intended.
* No halfway commitments.
* When God’s Spirit prompts me to do something, I need to be willing to release the brakes to wholeheartedly accomplish His purpose.

Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.
Mark 6:31

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment