Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Gospel in Action


It’s been reported on the news, people have shared the event on Facebook, it’s been written up in newspapers as we have seen a beautiful depiction of what it looks like to be a devoted follower of Jesus.  This is a modern day story I want to remember, think about, have convict me, make an impact on my life, and cause me to want to be more like Jesus.  For those who live outside of Texas, and may not have heard the story, may you be encouraged and challenged as well. 

Botham Jean was gunned down, in 2018, by Dallas police officer Amber Guyger when she mistakenly entered his apartment thinking it was her own.  Thinking he was an intruder, Guyger shot Jean and killed him.  This week she was brought to trial and sentenced.  The nightmares of that event have been brought to light once again.  But it is Botham’s 18-year-old brother, Brandt Jean, whom God is using to impact us and show what it looks like to forgive from the heart.  After the trial, Brandt took the witness stand and spoke to Guyger.

The speech wasn’t prepared or written out on paper, but rather expressed straight from the heart.  “I don’t want to say twice or for the hundredth time how much you’ve taken from us.  I think you know that.  I hope you go to God, with all the guilt of all the bad things you may have done in the past.  Each and every one of us may have done something that we’re not supposed to do.  If you truly are sorry, I know I can speak for myself, I forgive you.  And I know if you go to God and ask him, he will forgive you.  And I don’t think anyone can say it again, but speaking for myself, not even for my family, but I love you just like anyone else.  And I’m not going to say I hope you rot and die just like my brother did, but I personally want the best for you.  I wasn’t ever going to say this in front of my family or anyone, but I don’t even want you to go to jail.  I want the best for you.  Because I know that’s exactly what Botham would want for you.  And the best would be give your life to Christ.  I think giving your life to Christ would be the best that Botham would want you to do.  Again I love you as a person, and I don’t wish anything bad on you.”

Then Brandt surprised the judge, and those in the court room, by tearfully asking, “I don’t know if it’s possible, but can I give her a hug please?  Please?”   After a moment of silence, the judge granted the unusual request.

This week a devoted follower of Jesus has given us a living example of the gospel in action.  May we be willing to do our part as well.

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matthew 6:14-15

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
Luke 6:37

Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.
Luke 11:4

“Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”
Luke 17:4

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Colossians 3:13

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
I John 1:9

1 comment:

  1. This is an example we should all emulate as we are obedient to the scripture!!!

    ReplyDelete