Saturday, January 25, 2020

Being Still


Larry was in the process of cooking breakfast when our three-year-old granddaughter said, “Granddad, come and sit by me.”  He took the opportunity to sit with Della for a few minutes and was rewarded with a sweet conversation, several hugs, and “I love you” comments before returning to the final preparations of breakfast.  That tender moment reminded me of how much God must desire each of us to take time to be still and “Come and sit by me.”

Events of this month have already started out at a fast pace.  Being still does not come naturally for me.  I have to make a conscious effort to slow down, give attention to, and focus on the moment at hand.  Sometimes I purposely choose to slow down while other times life throws in its two cents worth and decides that for me.  Dealing with tendinitis around my ankle these weeks has caused me to be much slower than usual.  There are times I have had to stop and sit.  Slowing down and being still have afforded me the opportunity to sit, visit, read, study, and have purpose in what I choose to do.  I have been reminded that it is good to have time to be still.  But it is what I choose to do in those still moments that has the potential to make a difference.

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:10

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”
Exodus 14:14

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Psalm 37:7

No comments:

Post a Comment