Saturday, March 7, 2020

Without Even Asking


Tom Williams was the Minister of Administration and Education at South Main Baptist Church in Pasadena, Texas, during my high school years and beyond.  One of the sayings he taught me was, “You have not because you ask not.”  The words and message sounded good, but it was his application that spoke volumes.  It was as if people were honored to participate in what he asked them to do or give.  He said that the worst that could happen is that the person might say “No.”  Surprisingly, “Yes” was a common consideration, especially when the asker was polite, respectful, and appreciative.

Even though I am a somewhat private person, I found that it was helpful to ask people to pray for specific requests during the days of preparation, surgery, and recovery of my recent surgeries.  And they prayed and prayed and are continuing to pray.  It is amazing to see the ways God is answering those exact prayers on my behalf.


During this season, I have also been overwhelmed with the ways God has provided for me, without even asking.  I met with the radiation oncologist before my initial surgery.  After the consultation, he introduced me to the nurse navigator.  She was a wealth of knowledge about people to contact if I had needs, classes to go to for reinforcement, numbers to call, along with a plethora of other information.  At the end of the meeting, the nurse handed me a bag for the brochures along with a stuffed heart pillow made by The Common Thread Circle at Memorial Drive United Methodist Church women’s group.  The pillow is to be placed under the seatbelt strap for comfort when riding in the car.  Once again, God provided for a need before I even knew I had it.  Another sweet moment was discovering that I could see the Tallowood Baptist Church steeple from my hospital room window.  Even though I didn’t request that particular room, being able to see the church was a daily source of encouragement and hope.

Whether it is asked for or provided before I even know I need it, I am amazed at the ways God continues to care for my every need. 

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

1 comment: