Saturday, May 2, 2020

Finding Treasured Blessings


Usually, the stories I post are ones that I have read or viewed on television or the computer.  But this week, I personally know the three young ladies, along with generations of their families, because I watched them grow up at Tallowood Baptist Church.

Valerie and Jon Millard have been married almost 12 years.  They have twins, a daughter and son, who are now in Kindergarten.  Jon is in the military and has once again been deployed.  With Valerie’s family in Texas and Jon’s in Ohio, they count on people in the church and military to be their “Family” away from home.  Added to missing Jon, Valerie and the kids are also dealing with the isolation from COVID-19.  Valerie is intentional about teaching and providing treasured moments for their children.  She recently posted, “I love them.  May they look back on this weird time with fun memories and not fear.  May they remember the million miles we scooted around our little neighborhood – the fun things their teacher did on ‘computer school’ – and the quality time they got with me.  I pray these long days are not wasted.  They are long – challenging – we are missing Jon something fierce.  But we are together. As for me, I will always remember that.”

Brooke Wallace and Russell Boremann were set to marry on April 4, 2020.  As the date came closer and closer, unexpected decisions needed to be made.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared that due to the Corona Virus, events were to be limited to 250 guests.  With 270 guests invited, there would need to be adjustments.  “We started praying about it and met with the pastor who was going to marry us,” Wallace said.  “I teetered back and forth between wanting to just be married and wanting to have that special day.”  The couple was able to reschedule the wedding venue and vendors, but then decided they wanted to go ahead with the original wedding date.  Before the date, the CDC changed to no more than 50 people could congregate.  With permission from City Council, the wedding could take place outside the church on their chosen date or inside if it was inclement weather.
Treasured blessings, according to Brooke:
* There was a torrential downpour so they were able to have their wedding in the church.
* Their wedding party was able to watch on Zoom.
* The reception was held at the bride’s parents’ home.  Each family had their own table, in order to comply with social distancing.
* Although Brooke wore her wedding dress at the church, she didn’t want to wear it at home because of the big skirt.  “My grandmother said that she still had her wedding dress, so that’s what I ended up wearing.  It’s 56 years old, and she got to see me in it.  That never would’ve happened at my original wedding.” 
* “It was better than the 270-person wedding because this was intimate and so sweet.”

April 25, 2020, was to have been graduation day, from Indiana Wesleyan University, for Ashley Johns.  Due to the closing of schools, Ashley missed her last chorale banquet.  She also did not get to sing her final concert, move out of the lodge with her family’s help, or say her final goodbyes.  There were so many things Ashley had planned for and dreamed of for those final college days.  But then Ashley’s laments turned to treasured moments that she did have her final semester.
* Games with friends in their 1st home
* Antiquing with friends
* Hiking with her favorite people
* Discovering a small zoo
* Watching a friend marvel at a store full of old books
* Listening to her favorite piano piece played by her favorite piano player
* Throwing a hilarious fake graduation
And Ashley’s treasured moments did not stop there.  Once home, she “got to”…
* See the magnolia trees bloom for the first time in four years
* Notice how much the little boy she babysat is growing
* Go on adventures with her brother
* Watch TV with her family
* Work puzzles with her grandparents after dropping off groceries
* Celebrate her Dad’s birthday with him for the first time in four years
In her post, Ashley concluded, “I still grieve the should haves.  I still wish I had gotten to do all those things and more.  That things had gone the way I planned.  But I also wonder how many of those got to’s I would have missed or never would have happened at all.  And they don’t make the grief go away.  But the memories made in the got to’s make the grief of the should haves tolerable.  I go back and I look at pictures and I know that those moments would not have happened if everything had gone according to my plan.  And I realize that those moments were always God’s plan.  And despite all that I lost in the should haves I am immensely grateful for the got to’s.”

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment