Saturday, September 12, 2020

Remembering and Responding

Friday was a day spent remembering the events of 09/11/2001.  From posts, pictures, drawings, news stories, and articles, we have recalled, honored, and taught about the heroes and actions of that day. 

My morning has been spent reflecting on this day, 19 years ago.  For me that includes lettering while I process it all.  May we never ever forget.  May we remember those we lost.  May we honor their lives by the way we carry on each day.  United we stand.  We need each other.
~ Valerie Millard 


W E   R E M E M B E R
09.11.01

“IF WE LEARN NOTHING ELSE FROM
THIS TRAGEDY, WE LEARN
THAT LIFE IS SHORT AND
THERE IS NOT TIME FOR HATE.”
~ Sandy Dahl, Wife of Flight 93 Pilot




New York, New York     Somerset County, Pennsylvania     Washington, DC
Through blurred eyes we find the strength and courage to soar, beyond the moment.
We look to the future knowing we can never forget the past.
God Bless America.



We REMEMBER.
The unknown.
The grief.
The fear.
The love.
The community.
The unity.
The power of people coming TOGETHER.
---
Let’s remember how GOOD can show up in the midst of uncertainty, in the midst of evil, in the midst of the unexpected…a timely reminder for us all.
Ashley Thorne



When I was little, my dad and I used to sit side-by-side in our living room playing the piano and singing, “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”  Today, being 9-11, I’ve decided to visualize me perched on that piano bench as “twin towers”…striving for “perfect harmony”…one note at a time…still singing “our anthem.”

Bonnie Fowler



Never forget
9.11.01
for its losses.
But remember 9.12.01 when
what mattered more was what
united us than divided us.



And on this date, and the days following, we remember that we are all in this together.


I MISS 9/12
I would never want
another 9/11, but I miss the
America of 9/12.

Stores ran out of flags to sell
because they were being
flown everywhere.

People were Americans before
they were upper or lower class,
Jewish or Christian,
Republican or Democrat.

We hugged people without
caring if they ate at Chick-fil-A
or wore Nikes.

ON 9/12, WHAT MATTERED MORE WAS
WHAT UNITED US, THAN WHAT DIVIDED US.


It’s good to remember and reflect, but it’s what we choose to do with what we have learned and become that will make the difference.  In the words of the song, written by Jill Jackson Miller and Sy Miller, “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.”


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Psalm 46:1

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
Psalm 56:3

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment