Saturday, April 30, 2011

Plugged In

Two years ago, a man from church bought a new scooter.  His wife asked me if I would like to have his other one to use at school.  It was Texas Tech colors, red and black.  I had way too much fun with that scooter.  When turned from turtle to rabbit speed, that thing could move at a fast pace down the hall.  The scooter was a blessing in several ways, especially during fire drills, when I needed to be at a conference on the other side of the school, or I had limited time between events.

Every few days, I would make sure that I plugged in the scooter to recharge the battery.  One morning, I sat on the scooter, pushed the lever to make it go and nothing happened.  After several attempts of pushing the lever hard and then soft, to see if that would help; I noticed that the key was in my lap.  I quickly realized that I had all the power I needed, but if I was not “plugged in” it did me no good.

That is so much like my Christian life.  God has promised me His power, but every day I must choose to be connected, "plugged in", for it to be productive.  And He always moves at just the right speed, is always consistent, and never has to be re-charged.

Acts 1:8
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Ephesians 3:20-21
 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

2 Peter 1:3
 3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

1 comment: