Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Diet, A Gym, and a Doctor


I am pretty much a creature of habit and like my ducks all lined up in a row.  So for three major changes to happen within just a few weeks time, I had plenty to think about and process.  I prayed and said that I really needed God to take over because there seemed to be so many changes at once.  I’m sure He said, “I’m glad you finally asked.”  He has been faithful.

First, with Larry’s help and encouragement, I have been really disciplined to embrace the diet I have been on for the past few years.  We have both noticed the benefits.  But after reading a book by a doctor with MS on nutrition and MS, watching a video, and talking with the nutritionist, I realized that while I have “cut out” the foods that are not good for me, I still need to add others so I am receiving the proper nutrients.  So…I am now eating more green leafy vegetables than I ever thought possible, as well as a few other foods that are not necessarily on my “Top 10 or even Top 50” foods list.  I’ve even eaten seaweed.  The encouraging thing is that I can really tell a difference when I do and do not eat those foods.  I’ve even learned to disguise the taste of some foods by eating other foods with them to drown out; I mean, enhance the taste.

Next, we found out a few weeks ago that the gym we go to, as well as the one by the church, was being bought out by another company.  The next closest gym was 45 minutes away.  Upon further investigation, I found out that the company sold all the gyms in Texas to the new company.  Since the gym is only 5 minutes from our house, I really did want to still go there.  Plus, we really like the employees and wanted them to keep their jobs.  Fortunately, there are other gyms in our area if we needed to change memberships.  We found out two weeks ago that we will continue to go to the same gym and the membership is even less with the new owners!  Knowing that it makes it easier to find time to go to the gym, I’ve commented to Larry several times in the past about how nice it is to have the gym so close.  I’m even more grateful now.

Finally, my MS doctor is retiring in July so he can accept a new position to work with doctors in the hospital system.  I am so grateful that he was the one that could walk us through these 11 years.  And I’m thankful that he is more than willing to help us find the best doctor to take it from here. 

So what am I learning?  I’m not in this alone.  God is there and more than willing and able to help with decisions, whether they are little or big.  Sometimes things turn out even better than what they first appear.  Jesus not only calmed the raging sea, He also calms the storms brewing in me.

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Matthew 8:23-27
Jesus Calms the Storm
23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment