Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Gift of No Regrets



October 29 was the birthday of my youth minister at South Main Baptist Church, Pasadena.  The summer after my senior year in high school, Marylyn married the pastor of our church.  Even though she was no longer the youth minister, she was still very active in the church.  It was always good to spend time with her when I would be home to visit and keep up by way of letters and phone calls.  I had bought a card to send to Marylyn for her birthday.  The night I sat down to sign and address her card, I also needed to write and send three other cards and notes and have them ready for Larry to mail early the following morning.  Due to the lateness of the evening, I was going to write a short note and then seal the envelope.  But that night, I had one of those moments when I felt God’s prompting to take the time to write a letter to Marylyn to let her know how He had used her life to encourage, teach, challenge, bless and believe in me through the years.  Although it took a while to write the letter, the words and gratitude came easily.  On Marylyn’s birthday I also called and verbally expressed my gratitude.

On November 15, Marylyn had arthroscopic knee surgery.  She died very unexpectedly on November 19.  Amidst the grief and shock came the overwhelming realization that God had prompted and given me the opportunity to express my gratitude.  Because I took the time to write and phone, I had been given the gift of no regrets.

These past few months, a family at church has intentionally been in the process of loving and blessing a member of their family.  Unless the Lord intervenes, Rob will meet Jesus face to face before too many more days.  The Moore family has used these months they have been given to express love and gratitude to and for Rob.  Even in these difficult times, Rob continues to bless his family with his love and words and his family is taking every opportunity to faithfully bless him with their words, actions and tender care.  They are loving Rob well during these days…gifts of no regrets.

Especially during this season, I have been reminded of the importance of expressing gratitude, affirmation, encouragement and love with my words and deeds.  Since none of us know the length of our time on planet earth, it’s best to take every opportunity to love and bless our family, friends and the people around us.  What a gift it would be to be able to look back on that time with no regrets.

A person’s days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed.
Job 14:5

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 a time to be born and a time to die…
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2a

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful words. No regrets and choosing joy, Rob and Robin

    ReplyDelete