Saturday, October 25, 2014

Being Still and Knowing



This has been one of those weeks where I have had an overflowing heap on my plate.  I try to not plan too many outings, appointments, or responsibilities into one week, but this week needed to be an exception.  One morning I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all I still needed to accomplish during the next couple of days.  I was already ahead for my homework for the Bible Study this week so that was one thing that could wait.  Even though I was being productive, I still desired a calmer spirit in which to complete the tasks.  I decided to take a break and go ahead and complete another Bible study lesson for next week.  Being still and focusing on the scriptures was just what I needed to keep things in perspective and be ready for the rest of the day.

Psalm 46:10 usually comes to mind during times like these. 
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Being still was welcomed, but it was when I took time to acknowledge God for who He is and what He’s done that the peace and direction were renewed for the day.  That’s a great reminder for this week and for the weeks ahead as we prepare for the holidays.

Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.
Psalm 62:1

Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.
Psalm 62:5

Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:30-31

This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
    or the strong boast of their strength
    or the rich boast of their riches,
 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
    that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
    justice and righteousness on earth,
    for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment