Saturday, November 1, 2014

Thirsty



Earlier this fall, we were out of town for three days.  While we were gone, the temperatures were high and there was no rain.  Upon our arrival back home, it was obvious that the plant on the front porch had seen better days.  


Larry watered the plant and amazingly, within a few hours, it perked up again.  Plants, animals, and humans function much better when hydrated.  Seeing the plant respond to the moisture reminded me of my gratefulness for clean, available drinking water, knowing that is not the norm in our world or even for some in our city. Water helps us survive.


Throughout scripture we are encouraged to hunger and thirst for God and His righteousness.  In John 4:13, Jesus offers his followers life giving water that is eternal.  That gift of water does not depend on location, time, temperature, or weather.   

Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

These past days I have been challenged, encouraged, and inspired by a song from Casting Crowns.

“Thrive”
Chorus:

So living water flowing through
God, we thirst for more of You
Fill our hearts and flood our souls with one desire

Just to know You and to make You known
We lift Your name on high
Shine like the sun, make darkness run and hide
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
It’s time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive

It is one thing for a plant to shrivel up from lack of water, but I don’t want my life to look like that, or worse, because of my lack of thirsting for God, His word, His righteousness, His will.  We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives.  It’s time for us to more than just survive.  We were made to thrive.”  Thank you Lord for eternal life giving water.  Please help my life demonstrate evidence of your gift.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
Psalm 42:1

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
Psalm 63:1

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Matthew 5:6

Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.
John 7:38

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.
Revelation 22:17

No comments:

Post a Comment