Saturday, October 1, 2016

Doing Our Part



John Donne reminds us that, “No man is an island, entire of itself.”  That point was brought home as I watched the first of the presidential debates this week.  It has taken a team of people to run the campaigns, prepare the candidates for meetings, make sure people are at a designated place on time, and a myriad of other logistics.

We have a few short weeks to pray and continue to research the candidates and their positions before casting our ballot.  Recently Benjamin Watson, tight end for the Baltimore Ravens, voiced, “Obama can’t save us.  Mrs. Clinton can’t save us.  Mr. Trump can’t save us.  The only one who can change the heart of man is the Lord.”  With that truth in mind, we all need to be willing to do our part to share God’s message of love, redemption, forgiveness, and salvation during these days.  It is only when we are following God’s plan that our nation will be what it needs to be and have the peace that we desire.

Last week, my friend Kimberly Anderson posted something on Facebook which has given me much to ponder and pray about.  “Looks like Trump or Hillary will be our next President –not excited about either one of them.  Praying for God to put a Daniel in place to work with the winner.  If God can use King Nebuchadnezzar to accomplish his purpose, he can use Trump or Hillary too.” Thank you for the reminder Kimberly.  Knowing that all things are possible with God, I am praying for Godly Wisdom for our next President, as well as other elected officials, as Cabinet positions are selected, Supreme Court justices are chosen, and for the selection of advisors that will provide wise and godly counsel.

And I need to be willing to do my part to help make a difference in my community, city, state, nation, and world by praying, researching the candidates and their platform, voting, allowing God to work in and through me, and committing to pray for those in authority both now and after the election. 

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Matthew    19:26

 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicle 7:14

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
I Timothy 2:1-4

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.
I Peter 3:12

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment